Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Whose got my spectacles?

Okay, I didn't watch the opening ceremonies of the 2012 Olympics when they were broadcast. We had a house guest and were too busy playing Zombie Dice to turn on the television. But, I heard through Facebook other people's reactions.

So as not to be left out, I went internet searching and found lots of footage. Oh my! The Grandeur, The Spectacle, The Weirdness. The We Are Not To Be Outdone By Beijing and We Can Create Spectacle With MEANING!!!!!!

Was it just National Pride run amok? Was it some kind of insatiable craving for spectacle and symbolism that had to be acted out by a cast and crew of thousands?

To me, it is almost as if the Opening Ceremonies now have to top the experience of the almost unbelievable athletic performances of the games themselves. The actual efforts and agonies of these athletes who have trained for years to get where they are is a human spectacle of the best kind. People putting it out there at one moment for a shot at winning for themselves and their country. There's a poignancy to the rise and fall of expectations and performance that makes the Olympics unique and special.

All the balloon bad guys and bed-bouncing actors in the world cannot match the very real human drama of the runner who is forcing his body to sprint despite the pain or the tumbler who lands on her head and then has to get up and do the routine again despite the little canaries flying around her noggin.

I understand the Opening Ceremonies provide a showcase of sorts for a nation to say, "See, we really are great and have done things of lasting value." I also understand that the Opening Ceremonies offer a platform for the current important social issues to be presented symbolically. I just find it all too much, too over the top, too in your face with our greatness.

Humans like to compete for attention, affection, prestige, and honor. That's what the games are about, and I guess the opening ceremonies are no different. I just find all the hoopla outlandish and unnecessary for the enjoyment of the athletic performances to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean! I don't mind disagreement and snark, but I won't tolerate abuse. Wit is especially appreciate.